Operators insist on new smoking rooms, Macau casino smoking lawsuit is improving
The Macao Health Bureau said it has received 12 applications for setting up a new smoking room in 47 gaming venues in Macau, but only two have been approved so far.
In the latest state of the government's implementation of the rigorous new tobacco control law implemented earlier this year, the Health Bureau stated that these applications included applications for the installation of 88 new smoking rooms, 10 of which were approved. These 10 are all in the hustle and bustle of the City of Dreams and the Ponte 16 at the Inner Harbour Beach in Macau.
Macau currently has 42 and 5 old machine stores.
On January 1st, Macao launched the “New Tobacco Control Law” to extend the city's no-smoking area to smoking in the VIP area. However, the field operator must fully implement the ban 12 months ago, when smoking in a specially ventilated smoking room is prohibited.
In this week's update, the Health Bureau stated that operators must submit an application to install a new smoking room by September 28, 2018, in order to begin operations "because of the approval time" before January 1, 2019. However, the operator is still free to apply after September 28.
It is worth noting that the Health Bureau said that in the first eight months of this year, the field continued to be the most prosecuted in terms of illegal smoking, with 1,140 lawsuits, accounting for 30.1% of all indictments.
From January to August, there were 3,789 prosecutions in Macau, down from 4,997 in the same period last year. However, the number of indictments increased by 84, mainly with the support of the Bo Inspection and Coordination Bureau, increasing the number of inspections from 426 to 588. More than 87% of those indicted on the scene were tourists.